It’s Sunday; join me to celebrate some body worship and surfing too.
About Today’s Show:
There is a tiny church on the waterfront in south Kona that has its doors always open and a perennial view of the sea free to all. Appearance stories have been in the news:
* CBS gets caught taking 20 pounds off Katie Couric
* Ms. Aloha Nui Beauty Contest requires 200 pounds minimum (requires free registration)
* Maryam celebrates size sixteen
Regardless of how a person looks, s/he is bound to encounter prejudice (pre-judgment) from some people. That only matters if the prejudiced person is yourself.
The body is a rich part of our human experience living with limits and boundaries. Some people love to push those limits to extreme ends. After all the body is such an amazing thing to play with once we get away from value judgments and fears about its fragility!
The trick is to figure out what makes you most comfortable in your body. I’ve found that this is fluid for me, meaning I go through phases of wanting more or less food, more or less activity, more or less sleep, etc. It’s taken me decades to learn to be flexible and accepting of this diversity.
Next door to the church where I filmed today’s show is the KuÊ»emanu Heiau, a traditional Hawaiian temple devoted to surfing. Surfing used to be reserved for the ali&$699;i, and it used to be done naked. Now everyone can surf, but most people wear swim suits. 🙂
BEACH WALKS BULLETIN
Would you like to submit a guest Beach Walks episode? (We’ve received one already!) If you would like to submit one, here are the guidelines:
* 3-5 minutes in length
* On a beach or not
* With a dog or not
* Spreading aloha – or positive energy
* Podsafe music (if you want to use music)
* No copyrighted material unless you have written permission
Nui: large, abundant, important
Be in Touch!
- Subscribe in iTunes so you won’t miss a single episode! Please leave a comment while you’re there!
- Call the Conch line via skype:roxannedarling or 1-949-544-1456 and share your thoughts.
- Like us on Facebook and join the Beach Walks community.
- Our wonderful theme music is from The Ukulele Experiment